Monday, June 30, 2014

Financial Review - June, 2014

June was an excellent month for my investments.

Net worth moved higher as gains in my Hong Kong and emerging market equities equities and rental income were enough to overcome living expenses, a small decline in Au/NZ equities and marginally unfavourable FX movements. Expenses were high.

Here are the details:

1. my Hong Kong equity portfolio appreciated meaningfully. There were no Hong Kong transactions this month, but I received a number of dividends (all in cash);

2. my AU/NZ equities declined very slightly. I added shares in National Australia Bank, PGG Wrightson and Gemworth Mortgage this month;

3.my equity ETFs were up (India, Vietnam, Hong Kong and China) in line with the local markets. There were no new purchases;

4. my commodities were higher. Silver is my only position;

5. the properties are at full occupancy and all tenants are paying on time. I managed  to roll over a break lease with zero vacancy. The tenant who was paying a reduced rental while building renovation works were being done is now paying the full rental. There were only minor repairs this month;

6. currency movements were slightly adverse with a small fall in the AUD. The NZD was flat. I purchased more AUD this month;

7. my position in bonds remains small;

8. expenses were high. I purchased a few cases of en primeur wine;

9. there were no transfers to Mrs Traineeinvestor this month.

My cash position declined slightly. I currently hold 46.1 months of expenses in HKD cash or equivalents. It was one of those months when holding any cash feels like a lost opportunity (I know, I know - I have to hold enough cash to cover living expenses for a few years).

For May, my net worth rose by 2.22%. The year to date increase is 3.66%.

2 comments:

Share Investor said...

Long term you will do well. Hold fort longer...

traineeinvestor said...

Hi Darren

Thanks for dropping by. I hope all is well and you are enjoying the robust equity markets.

Cheers
traineeinvestor